Kandy is the last kingdom of Sri Lanka. Today this city is a major tour destination because of it’s historical and cultural values as well as the beauty of the nature. This day trip package includes all top places to visit on route to Kandy. The complete itinerary listed below.
- Trip start at 7 am from Colombo or Katunayake Airport
- We will be reaching to Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage by 9 am. At this time you can see feeding baby elephants and bathing of many elephants. This is the only place you can have close encounters safely with elephants.
- At 1 pm we will be visiting to Sri Dalada Maligawa (The Temple of Tooth)
- 2 pm lunch according to your choice (local menu or english / international menu)
- After the lunch, around 3.30 pm we will be visiting to the Botanical gardens in Peradeniya.
- On our way back to Colombo, we will be visiting to Gadaladeniya / Lanka Thilaka and Ambekke temples, where you can see beautiful ancient arts and crafts. This is one of the best place in Sri Lanka to purchase original handicraft wooden and bronze products direct from the artist.
- At round 8.30 pm, you will be reaching back to your hotel in Colombo or Katunayake Airport.
Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage
This is a must stop and preferably earlier in the morning if you want to see and feed milk to the baby elephants. You can have your breakfast here while watching elephants relaxing, bathing and playing in the river.
If you haven’t seen any elephants walk around so free or have not seen them having a bath live then this is a good family day out with the kids,you’d also find slots of souvenirs of Sri Lanka at this place.
The Temple of the Tooth (Sri Dalada Maligawa)
This is the most sacred temple in Sri Lanka where the real relics of Lord Buddha’s are kept for worship. This is a palace of amazing ancient arts and crafts.
Peradeniya Royal Botanical Garden
This is an amazing garden, one of the finest in the world. Their collections are spectacular, and it’s history is mind blowing, and there is something for everyone. For the thrill seeker they have a suspension bridge. The have palms, cactus, orchids, annual displays for the botanist.
Gadaladeniya / Lankathilaka Temple and Ambekke Devalaya
This temple is built on solid granite rock and is worth a visit. It’s not showy or flash but it is much more like a traditional Buddhist temple with amazing arts and crafts. Very interesting to watch the ceremony before worship. The caretaker of the temple complex is also an amazing painter and you can buy his paintings. This area is known to traditional artists and craftsmanship for hundreds of years. Here you can buy original paintings direct from the artist.
It has a history of significant importance as it was also the main temple like the temple of the tooth.
The entire place is built on top of a single rock and to one side there is a very large and long inscription of a letter in a historic language.